What has been done?
Students read two different viewpoints on panda conservation. They highlighted views for panda conservation in green highlighter and views against panda conservation in pink highlighter. They summarised the views and wrote a conclusion. I assessed them for the effectiveness of teamwork.
What kind of dl or sel skills did you cover?
- Collaborative Talk (draw and build on knowledge collaboratively)
- Relationship skills (practicing teamwork and collaborative problem-solving)
Which authentic text did you choose?
Title: Should Pandas be Left to Extinction?
Description: Two viewpoints on panda conservation, (23rd September 2009), The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/sep/23/panda-extinction-chris-packham
Author: Leo Bendictus
Which results can you expect?
All students were able to work together and produce a conclusion. Higher ability students were able to analyse in more detail.
What do students say?
‘My favourite lesson was the panda one. I liked working in groups to write arguments.’
What do teachers say?
‘This was a highly engaging lesson that combined disciplinary literacy and social emotional literacy beautifully.’
- Lesson plan (Appendix 3_1_Panda Conservation Lesson Plan)
- Articles (Appendix 3_2 Articles)
- Marking Criteria (Appendix 3_3_Panda Conservation marking criteria)
- Workbook that was used with students (it was lesson 10 in the sequence) (Appendix 3_4_Workbook_Lesson 10)